with AA Turret Option
From 1940 the British Tank Mission in the United States was responsible for obtaining US armoured vehicles, at first by purchase, and later by Lend-Lease. The T17 was a joint project designed to suit both British and American operational requirements.
In July 1941 it had become apparent to the British Ordnance Committee, from its experience in North Africa, that there was a need for medium and heavy armoured cars. Both Ford and Chevrolet bid on the US ordnance Departments specifications of a medium armoured car with all-wheel drive and a 37mm main armament in a fully rotating turret. Ford designed a 6x6 prototype which was designated the T17 Deerhound. Chevrolet designed a 4x4 model designated the T17E1 Staghound.
Both variants were tested and the contract was given to Chevrolet. 2000 were ordered to be produced in Jan 1942, with Britain requesting just 300 vehicles. In April that number was raised to 1,500 as needs were increased.
The first staghound rolled off the production line in October 1942, by the year’s end only 157 had been completed. At this time the US Special Armoured Vehicle Board decided that the US didn’t need an armoured car in this size and decided to adopt the lighter M8 Greyhound vehicle instead.
The 250 Units that had been produced for the US were disarmed and given to the US Military Police.
All production went to Britain and a total of 2,687 vehicles were produced and delivered by the end of December 1943. 1000 AA versions of the Staghound were also requested but only 789 were delivered by the time production was stopped in April 1944. This variant was designated the T17E2.
During its years in combat the staghound T17E1 had several variants.
The initial model was designated the “Armoured Car, Staghound Mark 1”, this Model the T17E1 or M6 model had the 37mm turret gun. Two .30 cal MG’s, .45 Sub MG and a 2” smoke mortar.
The second model was designated the “Armoured Car, Staghound Mark 2”, this was the Mark 1 model with the 37mm gun replaced by the 3” tank howitzer. The whole machine gun and co-driver’s seat was removed to provide additional storage space and a 4” smoke discharger replaced the 2” mortar.
The third variant the “Armoured Car, Staghound Mark 3” was a Mark 1 vehicle with the turret replaced with a turret from a Crusader Tank.
It was fitted with a QF 75mm gun and coax 7.92mm Besa MG and the internal storage of the turret and basket were completely redesigned. The jettisonable fuel tanks were done away with. The bow machine gun and the aperture were sealed off with a welded plug and a ratchet was put on the brake pedal.
Less frequent variations were a control (command) version and a mine detector, the latter known as Bantu and were only experimental. Other modifications, semi-official, included 60lb aircraft rockets being mounted on the sides of the turret.
Length: 5.49 m
Width: 2.69 m
Height: 2.36 m
Weight: 14 tonne
Power Plant: 2 x GMC 270,
2 x 97 hp / 2 x 72 kW
Suspension: Wheels, 4 x 4
Road speed: 55 mph/ 89 km/h
Power/weight: 13.9 hp/tonne
Range: 450 miles/ 724 km
In Flames of War
The Staghound is classified as a wheeled vehicle, this means that they can move on Roads at 16”/40cm, Cross-country 8”/20cm and over Rough terrain at 4”/10cm. Both variants have this amour profile: Front 3, Side 1 and Top 0.
The Staghound armed with a 37mm gun: Range 24”/60cm, ROF 2, Anti-tank 7; Firepower 4+
The Staghound equipped with AA:
Range 16”/40cm; ROF 5; Anti-tank 4; Firepower 4+
Designed by Evan Allen
Painted by Jeremy Painter